Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeGrid
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:27:44
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (458)
Related
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- NCAA women's lacrosse semifinals preview: Northwestern goes for another title
- Why Kate Middleton’s New Portrait Has the Internet Divided
- Here's why summer travel vacations will cost more this year
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Louisville officer in Scottie Scheffler arrest faced previous discipline. What we know.
- Morgan Spurlock, 'Super Size Me' director and documentarian, dead at 53: Reports
- Kyle Larson set to join elite group, faces daunting schedule with Indy 500-NASCAR double
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Sean “Diddy” Combs Accused of Sexual Assault by 6th Woman in New York Lawsuit
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- MLB Misery Index: New York Mets have another big-money mess as Edwin Díaz struggles
- You'll Be Stuck On New Parents Sofia Richie and Elliot Grainge's Love Story
- Prosecutor tells jury that self-exiled wealthy Chinese businessman cheated thousands of $1 billion
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The Celtics are special. The Pacers, now down 2-0, have questions about Tyrese Haliburton's health.
- North Carolina judge properly considered jurors’ request in murder trial, justices decide
- Republican AGs ask Supreme Court to block climate change lawsuits brought by several states
Recommendation
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
NCAA women's lacrosse semifinals preview: Northwestern goes for another title
Does Adobe Lightroom have AI? New tools offer 'erase' feature with just one click
New research could help predict the next solar flare
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Median home sale price surpasses $900,000 in California for the first time
Workers at Georgia school bus maker Blue Bird approve their first union contract
American is flying home after getting suspended sentence for ammo possession in Turks and Caicos